Thursday 26 March 2015

Longrain Restaurant & Bar, Surry Hills


Longrain is a very trendy, up-market fusion Thai restaurant in Surry Hills.  The dishes I tried were definitely a bit of Asian Fusion with elements of Vietnamese flavours and other modern twists. Come early to ensure you get a table (as they don't take bookings).


For entree, I tried the trout betel leaf ($6 each). The entree is set on the betel leaf and has smoked river trout, peanut relish and green mango on top. It's a small entree but packed with refreshing flavours. Below is the Egg Net dish ($34) which had a very large pile of bean sprouts, pork, the odd prawn, peanuts and coriander. The flavours were very strong Vietnamese-like fish sauce. There was also a side of cucumber relish in a small bowl to accompany the fish. It was a nice dish, the flavours are not uncommon to many Vietnamese restaurants that I have been to.


Below is also the caramelised pork hock with five spices, chili vinegar ($33.50). It was so sugary and rich that I felt sick after a few pieces! Perhaps only order this if you can handle it or you may have to order some additional rice.

Overall, I had a nice experience. The atmosphere is nice, the customer service was solid but I had higher expectations for the food. It was worthwhile checking out but I'm not sure if I'd come back here regularly.  It regularly rates well among a lot of my friends. I think I just prefer good, wholesome and traditional Thai.

Prices: $50 per person

Location: 85 Commonwealth St. Surry Hills





Longrain Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment