Thursday 25 February 2016

Hawker, Sydney CBD

Hawker is a new brother restaurant to Mamak. Mamak is amazing so I was eager to see if their brother restaurant continues the tasty standards.

Hawker is more focused on street food which is very popular in Asia (hence the name). With their association with Mamak; I had very high expectations and was eager to see what would be on the menu.

My work colleagues were also big fans of Mamak. We looked at the menu and contemplated ordering the sting ray but ultimately our taste buds settled on other dishes.  Both work colleagues ordered the Hainanese Chicken ($13, top photo) which is described as "Poached white chicken with fragrant rice cooked in chicken stock. Served with chilli ginger sauce and soup on the side".   The chicken is served cold and disappointment quickly filters through both my colleagues. It was an adequate meal however one may easily get a nicer Hainanese Chicken dish in one of the food courts in Chinatown. The rice and cucumber sides were nice enough but obviously the chicken is the main.

I had a much better meal. I order the Char Kway Teow ($13, below) which is one of my favourite noodle dishes. Char Kway Teow is described as "Spicy rice noodles with eggs, prawns, cockles, Chinese sausage and fresh bean sprouts". The noodles are quite spicy but I seem to manage. The noodles vary in width and length. I'd recommend this dish.


Overall, Hawker was nice enough and I'd come back to try some of the other dishes. The decore is fresh with more space than Mamak but is missing the wow factor that Mamak has when it comes to the tasty food. I'd line up for Mamak for a guaranteed foodgasm. I'd check out Hawker for some variety!

Prices: $15-20 per person

Location: 345B-353 Sussex St, Sydney



Summary: Lisa's Rating: 
Food: 7/10 for casual dining 
Customer Service: 8/10
Atmosphere: 8/10
Value: 7/10

Hawker Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment