Thursday 24 March 2016

Holy Basil, Sydney CBD


WATCH OUT FOR THAT FRIED ICE CREAM! FOOD GASM! Holy Basil originated in Canley Heights but also has a Sydney City version within the Shark Hotel.


I head to Holy Basil in the City within Shark Hotel with a group of work mates. I've been to the Canley Heights version and quite liked it. The one in the shark hotel was very busy. I think best to book to guarantee a table for a big group. The decore is quite nice considering it's inside a bar. It's heavily decorated with thai artefacts.  I look forward to the Thai food. One of my foodie colleagues starts talking about the fried ice cream and builds up anticipation before we get there. I can relate to her desires of the ice cream.

The food comes at different times and takes a bit of time. It is really busy so you may need some time up your sleeve if you are going on your lunch break. The top photo is the $17.90 Roast Duck Red Curry smells amazing.  The red curry is spicy but not too spicy as the coconut based curry mellows out the intensity. It's quite flavoursome and topped with basil. Quite a nice Thai curry.

There's also some really nice stir fries at Holy Basil. Below is the Chicken chilli and basil sauce ($13.90). I like the generous bits of coriander and thai basil. Both the curry and stir fry dishes require an extra order of rice.





The Thai King Prawns ($18.90) don't seem too authentic but may please some who have more of a western palette. The crumbed prawns have a salad of sweet chilli pineapple and is topped with coriander. The highlight of the meal is dessert which is the fried ice cream ($13.90). The ice cream is wrapped in a sweet filo pastry and is topped with icing sugar, a side of roasted coconut with a caramel drizzle. It's heavenly and has a reputation of it's own. A definite recommend!!

Overall, a nice experience. Similar to my experience in Canley Heights. I will definitely come back.

Prices: $30ish per head 

Location: Inside shark hotel, 127 Liverpool St, Sydney



Summary: Lisa's Rating: 
Food: 8/10 for casual dining
Customer Service: 7/10
Atmosphere: 7/10
Value: 7/10




Holy Basil Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.
    Spring cleaning North Manly
    End of lease cleaning Southern Suburbs
    End of lease cleaning Western Suburbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so inspiring, I have gained so much information because of this blog. I will surely share this! electrician Clyde

    ReplyDelete