Friday 21 April 2017

Boon Cafe, Sydney CBD


It's Friday lunch time at work and Togias and I decide to go out for a yummy escape from work. We decide to stop by Boon Cafe for lunch.
Boon Cafe is an extended family member of the Chat Thai empire and is located on Pitt st in Haymarket. It's part Thai Asian Grocer and part restaurant. There's not too many tables in this cosy restaurant, perhaps enough for 15-20 people.

The menu is full of authentic thai dishes that are unique and a mesh of fusion dishes like the thai pasta. You won't find a pad thai or pad see ewe on the menu. I eye off the pandan custard toast however it's lunch time so I make a mental note to come back another time to check out Boon Cafe.


I order the Yum Ba Mee ($16, above) which are spicy egg noodle salad with minced chicken, calamari, mussels and prawns. 

The first thing that I notice is the burning session ripping through my tongue. HOLY MOLY! I couldn't handle the spice. Togias tries some of the noodles and seems to manage it better so maybe I am just weak.Once the chilli settles down, I can really taste the fragrant herbs. The crunchy little prawns add for additional texture.


Togias orders a salad however they don't seem to have this available so instead she goes for the NahmDtok ($14) which is a grilled beef and rice dish with a spicy herb salad on rice. I taste a bit of the beef and it's full of flavour. I suspect this is the crying tiger style of grilled beef. It's quite a tasty dish and mildly spicy.

Summary: I'll definitely be back as I'm really eager to try more dishes off the menu. I love the full blown out thai flavours from Boon Cafe. I really enjoyed the two dishes that I tried on this day. What a great lunch to kick off Friday.

Price: $15ish per main

Location: 1/425 Pitt St, Haymarket



Opening Hours: 8am to 12am daily.


Weekend Food Escapes dined anonymously and independently paid for this meal. All words, photos and opinions are my own.



Jarern Chai Boon Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. Love BOON cafe - The pandan toast is good, plus can never go past the baked sweets at the counter.

    ReplyDelete