Sunday 1 November 2015

Helm Bar, Sydney Darling Harbour

A sunlit day in Darling Harbour is absolutely gorgeous. One of my favourite watering holes in the area is Helm Bar. On a gorgeous sunny Sunday afternoon, my gal friend and I decided to pop in for some lunch and drinks.

In an attempt to be healthy, I ordered the beef thai salad (above, $19) with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, snow peas, lettuce and chili and red onion. The beef salad was well dressed in the thai dressing. All the other components were well executed with lots of red onion. It was a very attractive dish to eat and I soon forgot about my pizza cravings.

Ladies also needed a nice cocktail so I ordered the karaffe of the BIG Strawberry Woo Woo (which is apparently a Helm Bar favourite only bigger & better), made of Ketel One Vodka with Peach Liqueur, muddled strawberries & cranberry ($25, below). It was a sweet drink girly drink that matched the beautiful waterside view we had (photo, right at the bottom of this post)


My friend ordered the Morrocan lamb salad ($19) which had rocket leaves, pumpkins, chickpeas, mint yoghurt and harissa. The lamb was blue and very much rare on the inside but you could see the lamb had been sealed on the outside. My friend said she found this meal satisfying and all the components of the salad worked well. 


Given we behaved with our choices of main, I also ordered a cheeky side of Fries with Aioli ($6). Salty, crunchy chips were the perfect side to our salads. They were thin fries that went well with the aioli.

Overall, I had a really nice lunch. Helm Bar provides a lovely venue for a casual lunch and drinks with friends. As expected with the venue, it can get very busy with tourists and other locals but provides very consistent pub meals for about $20 which is what you expect in Darling Harbour region.

Prices: $20-$30 for mains. Keep an eye out for their weekday specials

Location: 7 Wheat Rd, Sydney. Right by the Pyrmont bridge.

Summary: Lisa's Rating: 
Food: 8/10 for pub dining
Customer Service: 7/10
Atmosphere: 9/10
Value: 7/10



Click to add a blog post for Helm Bar on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment